Glazier Contractor (Residential)

License to Work: A National Study of Burdens from Occupational Licensing

License to Work: A National Study of Burdens from Occupational Licensing


License required in 9 states
66th most burdensome licensing requirements
74th most heavily regulated occupation

(Last updated April 24, 2012)


Glazier contractors contract with clients to install glass in windows, skylights, store fronts and display cases, or on surfaces, such as building fronts, interior walls, ceilings and tabletops.

Typically, only contractors require licenses, not glaziers who work for them. Licensing requirements differ based on the scope of the work. Those with a residential license may work only on residential properties, while those with a commercial license may work on commercial properties. In some states, work on commercial properties requires a general contractor's license that is not specific to glazing; the requirements are generally the same as a commercial license, and they are treated the same here.


While only nine states require glaziers to have a license for residential work, two -- Maryland and Arizona -- require education/experience of a year or more. Six states require an exam. Louisiana and Mississippi require two.

(Last updated May 2, 2012)

State Licensing Requirements

Burden RankStateFeesEducation/Experience (Days)ExamsMinimum GradeMinimum Age

Sign up to receive IJ's biweekly digital magazine, Liberty & Law along with breaking updates about our fight to protect the rights of all Americans.