Insulation Contractor (General/Commercial)

License to Work: A National Study of Burdens from Occupational Licensing

License to Work: A National Study of Burdens from Occupational Licensing


License required in 29 states
30th most burdensome licensing requirements
36th most heavily regulated occupation

(Last updated April 24, 2012)


Insulation contractors contract with clients to line and cover structures with insulating materials. They may work with batt, roll or blown insulation materials.

Typically, only contractors require licenses, not insulators who work for them. Licensing requirements differ based on the scope of the work. Those with a residential license may work only on residential properties, while those with a commercial license may work on commercial properties. In some states, work on commercial properties requires a general contractor's license that is not specific to insulation; the requirements are generally the same as a commercial license, and they are treated the same here.


Twenty-nine states require a general contractor or commercial license for insulators who work on commercial properties. While many states only impose a fee on insulation contractors who work on commercial sites, 10 states require significant education and training, ranging from two to five years, and 15 states require at least one exam, which makes installing insulation the 30th most burdensome occupation of those studied.

(Last updated May 2, 2012)

State Licensing Requirements

Burden RankStateFeesEducation/Experience (Days)ExamsMinimum GradeMinimum Age

Sign up to receive IJ's biweekly digital magazine, Liberty & Law along with breaking updates about our fight to protect the rights of all Americans.