Insulation Contractor (Residential)

License to Work: A National Study of Burdens from Occupational Licensing

License to Work: A National Study of Burdens from Occupational Licensing


License required in 10 states
58th most burdensome licensing requirements
69th most heavily regulated occupation

(Last updated April 24, 2012)


Insulation contractors contract with clients to line and cover structures with insulating materials. They may work with batt, roll or blown insulation materials.

Typically, only contractors require licenses, not insulators who work for them. Licensing requirements differ based on the scope of the work. Those with a residential license may work only on residential properties, while those with a commercial license may work on commercial properties. In some states, work on commercial properties requires a general contractor's license that is not specific to insulation; the requirements are generally the same as a commercial license, and they are treated the same here.


Ten states require licenses for contractors who install insulation in residential properties. All 10 charge a fee, which averages $277. Five states require contractors to pass at least one exam, and two establish a minimum of age of 18 for employment. Arizona, Maryland and South Carolina impose education and training requirements of at least one year.

(Last updated May 2, 2012)

State Licensing Requirements

Burden RankStateFeesEducation/Experience (Days)ExamsMinimum GradeMinimum Age

Sign up to receive IJ's biweekly digital magazine, Liberty & Law along with breaking updates about our fight to protect the rights of all Americans.