Mason Contractor (Residential)

License to Work: A National Study of Burdens from Occupational Licensing

License to Work: A National Study of Burdens from Occupational Licensing


License required in 10 states
64th most burdensome licensing requirements
70th most heavily regulated occupation

(Last updated April 24, 2012)


Mason contractors contract with clients to lay and bind building materials, such as brick, structural tile, concrete block, cinder block, glass block and terra-cotta block, with mortar and other substances to construct or repair walls, partitions, arches, sewers and other structures.

Typically, only contractors require licenses, not masons who work for them. Licensing requirements differ based on the scope of the work. Those with a residential license may work only on residential properties, while those with a commercial license may work on commercial properties. In some states, work on commercial properties requires a general contractor's license that is not specific to masonry; the requirements are generally the same as a commercial license, and they are treated the same here.


Ten states require mason contractors to obtain a license to do residential work. While some states only impose a fee, Maryland, Arizona and South Carolina require one to two years of education/experience. Michigan, Louisiana and Mississippi require two exams.

(Last updated May 2, 2012)

State Licensing Requirements

Burden RankStateFeesEducation/Experience (Days)ExamsMinimum GradeMinimum Age

Sign up to receive IJ's biweekly digital magazine, Liberty & Law along with breaking updates about our fight to protect the rights of all Americans.