Your monthly donation defends the rights of Robert and all Americans
Four years ago, Robert Reeves’ car was seized by police in Detroit using civil forfeiture. Although he was never charged with a crime, police attempted to use civil forfeiture to seize and keep Robert’s 1991 Camaro. Robert knew what happened to him was wrong, and in 2020 he partnered with the Institute for Justice to file a federal class action lawsuit to put an end to Wayne County’s unconstitutional policing-for-profit practice of seizing cars from innocent motorists.
Within two weeks of filing suit, Wayne County prosecutors began to wage a war of retribution against Robert. They filed two felony charges against Robert and then attempted to leverage those charges to derail his federal class action lawsuit. When a judge dismissed that, they didn’t give up. Instead, they filed a second set of identical charges, which were once again dismissed for lack of evidence.
Robert refuses to let the county intimidate him, which is why he is filing a second lawsuit against Wayne County aimed at not only stopping prosecutors’ campaign of harassment against him, but to ensure that no one else is threatened with jail time for daring to hold government officials accountable.
Become a monthly donor to stand with Robert and other Americans facing government abuse!
Why You Should Give Monthly
- It’s convenient. Direct payment options automate your giving so you never have to write a check again.
- It’s flexible. You can opt-out of the program, or increase, decrease, or suspend your monthly gifts at any time by contacting Kristen Sibori at [email protected] or at (703) 682-9320 ext. 249.
- It saves resources. You save on postage, checks, and envelopes, and we save on administrative costs for processing donations. It’s the best way to have more of your money go directly to our fight for freedom.
- It’s affordable. Many donors find they can give cumulatively more each year without straining finances in any given month.
- It’s rewarding. It feels great to make a constant difference for our clients and others like them. Here at IJ, we believe in changing the world through long-term, strategic litigation. Monthly givers allow us to focus on the future by providing a reliable source of income.
Sign up to receive IJ's biweekly digital magazine, Liberty & Law, along with breaking updates about our fight to protect the rights of all Americans.