CHICAGO—Five South Side businesses will compete on October 20 in the finals of the ninth annual South Side Pitch, hosted by the Institute for Justice Clinic on Entrepreneurship. For the first time since 2019, the competition will again be held live and open to the public at the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Hyde Park. The five finalists below will compete to win several prizes, for a combined total of over $25,000 in cash prizes.
- T’Kor Couture – a Black-owned luxury fashion brand that specializes in handmade crochet clothing and accessories out of Woodlawn.
- Healthy Substance – a restaurant serving delicious and authentic vegan Mexican food in Garfield Ridge.
- Moor’s Brewing Company – a Black-owned brewery founded by lifelong friends in Bronzeville.
- The Record Track – a family-owned music and entertainment store providing records since 1990 in South Chicago.
- That’s So Creative LLC – a full-service creative and marketing agency specializing in brand strategy, communications, and website development bound to Washington Heights and South Loop.
South Side Pitch allows incredible entrepreneurs to share their origin stories and their vision for the future in a “Shark Tank”-style contest. The judges for the contest are leaders in the business world, as well as the audience. Prior winners have used their prizes to expand their businesses and create new jobs. Last year’s first-place winner was community mental wellness provider Sista Afya. Owner Camesha Jones used her prize money to expand access to low-cost mental health services.
Date/Time: Thursday, October 20, 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. CDT
Location: Polsky Center, 1452 E 53rd St, Chicago, IL 60615
South Side Pitch is hosted by the Institute for Justice Clinic on Entrepreneurship, which is based at the University of Chicago Law School. The contest is sponsored by United Airlines, the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, the University of Chicago Office of Civic Engagement and the Rustandy Center for Social Sector Innovation. To learn more or RSVP, visit www.southsidepitch.com.
Members of the media can reach out to Andrew Wimer, IJ Media Relations Director, to attend or schedule interviews with the contestants in advance, [email protected] or (703) 298-5938.
The Institute for Justice Clinic on Entrepreneurship provides free legal assistance, access to resources and advocacy for low-income Chicago entrepreneurs. To learn more about the IJ Clinic, visit www.ij.org/clinic.