September 10, 2018

Pleasant Ridge Wins Again at Appeals Court

Charlestown, Ind.—Today, the Indiana Court of Appeals ruled that the City of Charlestown must follow the state of Indiana’s Unsafe Building Law, a state statute that gives property owners procedural protections from overzealous city code enforcement.

The decision on the neighborhood’s preliminary injunction now goes back to Judge Jason Mount to rule on how the Unsafe Building Law applies in this case and how it prevents the city from issuing fines. For procedural reasons the appellate court did not address the question of whether the city violated the state and federal constitutions.

“Today’s opinion is another rebuke to the city of Charlestown’s reckless disregard for state law,” said Anthony Sanders, a senior attorney at the Institute for Justice, which represents Pleasant Ridge homeowners. “This includes a cap on the amount of fines, and a mandate that fines can only be issued against recalcitrant property owners. The city has wantonly ignored those protections through issuing immediate fines against property owners in its illegal quest to force them to sell their properties to developer John Neace.”

The case arises out of the city’s horrific practice of fining property owners in the Pleasant Ridge neighborhood in an effort to force them out of their homes in order to have the entire area redeveloped by local businessman John Neace. Because of the city’s illegal code enforcement practices, Neace was able to purchase almost two hundred properties for only $10,000 per lot, far less than their tax-assessed values. Many of these sales were made from landlords who had been fined thousands of dollars in violation of the Unsafe Building Law.

“The residents of Pleasant Ridge have been under assault from the city for years, and this is just the latest rebuke to its unconstitutional and immoral effort to wipe them off the map,” said IJ Senior Attorney Jeff Rowes. “We now look forward to having the trial court issue a new injunction against the city that includes a requirement that it follow state law.”

The issue now goes to the trial court with argument before the court on the state law question likely coming in the next couple of months. Meanwhile, the residents of Pleasant Ridge remain in their homes and look forward to a final judgment that will permanently protect them from city abuse.

Share

More on Private Property

Private Property

Public Interest Law Firm Releases New Page Tracking License Plate Reader Abuse Nationwide

Dan King · August 12, 2026

Avery Marshall and Alisa Carr stand in the doorway of their home in Willard, NC. In April 2024, a SWAT team raided their home in a wrong-house raid.

Private Property

Court Rules North Carolina Family’s Lawsuit Can Move Forward After SWAT Team Raided, Damaged Wrong Home

Dan King · August 7, 2026

Joe Marino stands with arms crossed in front of white fence and cornfield at his family's New Jersey home

Private Property

Former Attorneys General, Business Associations, and Former Department of Labor Leaders Support Family Farm’s Supreme Court Case

Andrew Wimer · August 5, 2026