Archdiocese of Newark
The Archdiocese of Newark was founded in 1853 as the Diocese of Newark. Pope Pius XI elevated the Diocese to an archdiocese in 1937. Although it is the smallest archdiocese in the U.S. geographically, the Archdiocese of Newark is one of the largest in terms of population, with nearly 1,300,000 Catholics and 219 parishes.
The Archdiocese operates 11 cemeteries. Under canon law, the church must provide consecrated ground for the interment of the faithful. The oldest cemetery dates to 1849. There are now nearly 1,000,000 people interred in its 763 acres, and approximately 5,800 people are added every year.
The cemeteries of the Archdiocese are private and available only to parishioners and their families. The cemeteries are not, nor have they ever been, open to the general public.